Dean of Students Departing
Dr. Victor Schwartz, University Dean of Students, will be leaving Yeshiva this month to become medical director at The Jed Foundation, which works to reduce the prevalence of emotional distress and suicide among college students.
"This is an area I have really spent the bulk of my professional career working on," said Schwartz, a renowned psychiatrist and associate professor of clinical psychiatry at Einstein. Dr. Schwartz has spoken and published widely on mental health and suicide in college students. "This opportunity was too good to pass up."
"Dr. Schwartz's presence and positive impact on the Yeshiva University community will be felt long after his departure," read the email from the President's Office that announced Schwartz's departure on March 13. "Student life and the Yeshiva University experience have been marked in the last few years by Dr. Schwartz's warm and caring stewardship, and we are grateful for his years of work in building our Student Counseling Center and other student support services."
"Individuals such as Dr. Schwartz and other highly talented people among the University's leadership could choose to work virtually anywhere," said a university spokesman. "It is a testament both to the excellence of Yeshiva University and to the vital role it plays in the Jewish world that, most often, these individuals choose to use their gifts in the service of Yeshiva....We are quite sorry to see him go and he will be missed."
"It has been great helping to build student services at Yeshiva," Schwartz said, "and I will miss the wonderful students, friends and colleagues with whom i've had the pleasure to interact and work. The foundation's office is in the midtown area so I will hopefully continue to see many of the Beren campus students at Mendy's or Tiberias."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Yeshiva University Observer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST YESHIVA UNIVERSITY OBSERVER NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor