Dean of Students Departing
Dr. Victor Schwartz, University Dean of Students, will be leaving Yeshiva this month to become medical director at The Jed Foundation, which works to reduce the prevalence of emotional distress and suicide among college students.
"This is an area I have really spent the bulk of my professional career working on," said Schwartz, a renowned psychiatrist and associate professor of clinical psychiatry at Einstein. Dr. Schwartz has spoken and published widely on mental health and suicide in college students. "This opportunity was too good to pass up."
"Dr. Schwartz's presence and positive impact on the Yeshiva University community will be felt long after his departure," read the email from the President's Office that announced Schwartz's departure on March 13. "Student life and the Yeshiva University experience have been marked in the last few years by Dr. Schwartz's warm and caring stewardship, and we are grateful for his years of work in building our Student Counseling Center and other student support services."
"Individuals such as Dr. Schwartz and other highly talented people among the University's leadership could choose to work virtually anywhere," said a university spokesman. "It is a testament both to the excellence of Yeshiva University and to the vital role it plays in the Jewish world that, most often, these individuals choose to use their gifts in the service of Yeshiva....We are quite sorry to see him go and he will be missed."
"It has been great helping to build student services at Yeshiva," Schwartz said, "and I will miss the wonderful students, friends and colleagues with whom i've had the pleasure to interact and work. The foundation's office is in the midtown area so I will hopefully continue to see many of the Beren campus students at Mendy's or Tiberias."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Yeshiva University Observer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST YESHIVA UNIVERSITY OBSERVER NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists