Dean of Students Departing
Dr. Victor Schwartz, University Dean of Students, will be leaving Yeshiva this month to become medical director at The Jed Foundation, which works to reduce the prevalence of emotional distress and suicide among college students.
"This is an area I have really spent the bulk of my professional career working on," said Schwartz, a renowned psychiatrist and associate professor of clinical psychiatry at Einstein. Dr. Schwartz has spoken and published widely on mental health and suicide in college students. "This opportunity was too good to pass up."
"Dr. Schwartz's presence and positive impact on the Yeshiva University community will be felt long after his departure," read the email from the President's Office that announced Schwartz's departure on March 13. "Student life and the Yeshiva University experience have been marked in the last few years by Dr. Schwartz's warm and caring stewardship, and we are grateful for his years of work in building our Student Counseling Center and other student support services."
"Individuals such as Dr. Schwartz and other highly talented people among the University's leadership could choose to work virtually anywhere," said a university spokesman. "It is a testament both to the excellence of Yeshiva University and to the vital role it plays in the Jewish world that, most often, these individuals choose to use their gifts in the service of Yeshiva....We are quite sorry to see him go and he will be missed."
"It has been great helping to build student services at Yeshiva," Schwartz said, "and I will miss the wonderful students, friends and colleagues with whom i've had the pleasure to interact and work. The foundation's office is in the midtown area so I will hopefully continue to see many of the Beren campus students at Mendy's or Tiberias."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Yeshiva University Observer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST YESHIVA UNIVERSITY OBSERVER NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel