Tzniut With Style: Six Fashion Blogs To Follow
Tired of those Kikki-rikkis? Does dressing according to halakhot of tzniut to you often mean "frum" as in "frumpy?" Wish you had something more interesting to wear besides for that seminary sweatshirt and slinky skirt – for the third day in a row? Whether looking for inspiration on what to wear to school, shul, a wedding, or a job interview, these fashion blogs can come in handy for helping Orthodox dressers in looking into brands, deals, and how to match outfits. In the spirit of Fall Fashion Week spanning all over the globe from New York to Paris, check out these trendy blogs to learn how you too can be fashion forward and bring out your inner fashionista.
Fabologie – A Facebook page that post pictures of celebrities, runway models, and even fashionable women on the street caught in modest designs. These gorgeous photographs, especially the street ones that closely resemble something that would be seen in The Sartorialist, are worth a look. Check out and "friend" Fabologie on Facebook!
Frumanista– According to the website, the Frumanista identifies herself as "a frummie with a fetish for Sephora, skin-care, and sci-fi." Written by single twenty-something, Frumanista shares clever and informative makeup reviews such as which mascara to use for your best "Shabbos Face," as well as more intellectual fare such commentary on the recent David Brooks article on Linsanity, and of course, the absurdities of shidduch dating. http://frumanista.blogspot.com/
Fashion Isha– Lakewood mom and freelance designer Sharon Langert women's lifestyle site posts pictures of celebrities, runway models, and fashion magazine pictorials to bring inspiration for modest dressers.The website also showcases some work of up-and-coming Orthodox designers. The photos are pure eye candy that surely every girly girl with a penchant for designer fashion can appreciate. Additionally, there are posts with creative displays for interior design and recipes. http://www.fashion-isha.com/
Frum Fashion Maven – A resourceful shopping guide that displays stylish outfits and accessories and where to buy them. Prices range from $500 Missoni tunics to more moderately priced $40 ALDO shoes. European fashionistas will also appreciate that the blog features pretty finds from British brands such as Dorothy Perkins and Miss Selfridge. http://frumfashionmaven.blogspot.com/
The OAK (Other Aron HaKodesh) – Your go-to style guide to improving your "holy closet" (get it? "aron ha'kodesh"), OAK is great forfinding websites that do custom alterations for dresses that won't hit the knee, celeb scoop on the best modest Oscar gowns, and finding great buys from Anthropologie skirts for Shabbat to Gap weekday shirts. Though not all the clothing featured by celebs on the website are modest by all halakhic standards, they are there nonetheless for fashion inspiration and discussion. http://www.jewishworkinggirl.blogspot.com/
The Sartorialist– Though not a Jewish blog, premier fashion photographer Scott Schuman deftly captures fashionistas on the street as well as the runway stars in interesting eye-catching garb – including many shots of women wearing with knee-length skirts and long sleeve tops. A recent favorite was a post of an uber-chic female photographer working a ¾ sleeve camouflage jacket together with a knee-length navy polka dot skirt, sky blue scarf and orange handbag as she crouches and looks through her camera. Those who don't necessarily share a passion for fashion can also appreciate the artistry and depth of character of his subjects. http://www.thesartorialist.com/
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Yeshiva University Observer News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST YESHIVA UNIVERSITY OBSERVER NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership